Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

Basic Needs

Thank you for visiting the basic needs page. Please see the options below if you need assistance with food, housing, mental health, and more.

Campus Food Pantry Now Open!

Campus Food Pantry Logo

Spring Hours

  • Monday: 9am - 4:30pm
  • Tuesday: 9am - 4:30pm
  • Wednesday: 9am - 4:30pm
  • Thursday: 9am - 4:30pm
  • Friday: 9am - 1pm
    * Closed from 11am-3pm
    on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday
    of each month.

Located in L611A, the Campus Food Pantry is open to all Saint Paul College students, staff and faculty. Shop in the pantry as often as you need and take as much as you need. Everything in the Campus Food Pantry is completely free of charge.

Items available include shelf stable foods, produce, proteins and dairy products, household items and personal hygiene items. Items available change based on what is donated and available to order.

With any questions about the Campus Food Pantry, email


Thrive SNAP E&T


Saint Paul College’s (SPC) Thrive Student Support Program has teamed up with Minnesota State Employment and Training to help students be more successful by providing access to food and additional resources to eligible students.

Visit the Thrive program page to learn more:

You may also find helpful, St. Paul specific, information in St.Stephen’s Handbook for the Streets.

If you need personal assistance, please contact the Office of Student Life and Diversity.

211 Basic Needs Resource Hub
United Way Logo.png

Saint Paul College and Minnesota State have partnered with United Way 211 to establish a statewide basic needs resource hub. The basic needs resource hub provides Saint Paul College students access to basic needs resources and support available on campus and in the community via phone, text, or chat 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

United Way 211 provides free and confidential health and human services information. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to connect you with the resources and information you need. If you’re looking for information about services available in your community for you or a loved one, they can help.

Text MNHELP to 898-211(TXT211) or call 211 (toll free at 1-800-543-7709) to speak with one of their highly trained information and referral specialists. Your call is completely confidential, and they have call menus in English, Spanish, and Hmong. Interpreters are also available for any language.

United Way Logo.png

Visit the 211 website to learn more or to explore resources and support that may be available.

To search the 211 database of basic needs resources online, please visit the student basic needs website.

Get Help Applying for SNAP Benefits



There are two main places to eat on campus City View Cafe and City View Espresso. For up to date hours and COVID protocols please visit

Student are also welcome to bring their own food to campus. Microwaves are located at the City View Cafe for your convenience. Please note that there is no refrigeration storage available for student use.

There are also free breakfast kits and snacks located in the Student Life office (1265). These are available to all students during the Student Life office open hours (Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 4:30pm).


Most food shelves require photo ID and proof of residence (utility bill, medical card, etc.). They will serve a person only once a month. If you are unsure which food shelf to go to, call the MN Food Helpline at 1-888-711-1151.

Keystone Foodmobile
Comes to campus once per month, parks in the west parking lot. Shop for free groceries including produce, shelf stable items, meat, dairy, and eggs.

Dates/Time: First Wednesday of every month from 9:30am - 11:30am. * The Foodmobile will not be coming to campus in August 2022.

Hallie Q. Brown/MLK Center
270 North Kent
Phone: 651.224.4606
Hours: By appointment. Monday: 9:00am - 6:00pm; Tuesday-Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm.

Make an appointment online!

Keystone Community Services (Midway)
1916 University Ave. W.
Phone: 651.917.3792
Hours: Walk-in only, first-come first-served; Mon-Fri: 10:00 – 11:30am; 1:00 – 3:30pm. * serves residents of their area.

Keystone Community Services (Rice Street)
1459 Rice Street Suite 3
Phone: 651.487.2792, ext. 100
Hours: Walk-in only, first-come first-served; Monday-Friday: 10:00 – 11:30am; 1:00 – 3:30pm.
The Keystone Food Mobile also visits campus on a monthly basis. See the Student Events Calendar for information. * serves residents of their area.

Neighborhood House
179 Robie Street East
Phone: 651.789.2500
Hours: Walk-in only. Monday–Friday: 9–11:30am, 1–3:30pm. Open until 7:30pm on the third Wednesday of the month.


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a monthly financial benefit that helps you to purchase healthy food at your local grocery and convenience store, farmers’ market, and even through Walmart and Amazon delivery. If you are approved, you will receive a monthly payment onto your Electronic Balance Transfer (EBT) card. The monthly payment amount for a household of one rangesfrom $20-$250. The EBT card looks and acts just like a debit card. You swipe the card at a cash register and the card balance is updated.

This program can help you stretch your food budget any buy more of the foods that you need and want!

* Income guidelines are based on household size. See chart below:

Number of people in your householdMonthly income before taxes

Note: For each additional family member above 8, add $616. Income guidelines are updated each year. These guidelines are for October 1, 2020 through September 30, 2021.

Use this SNAP Eligibility Calculator to see if you might be eligible for the program. You can also call the MN Food Helpline (1.888.711.1151) for assistance checking your eligibility

To apply:

  • Apply online at (available in English and Spanish)
  • Print out and complete a paper application. Applications can be found on the DHS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program page
    • Paper applications available in English, Hmong, Russian, Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese.
  • For over-the-phone assistance, call the MN Food Helpline (1.888.711.1151). An associate can help you fill out the application over the phone.

For college students, there are program exemptions making it easier to be eligible. If you have specific questions about college student eligibility, please contact Saint Paul College’s basic needs coordinator, Emma Kiley,

Hunger Solutions Minnesota
Minnesota Food Helpline
Phone: 1.888.711.1151 (Multilingual assistance is also available)
Hours: Monday–Friday: 10:00am – 5:00pm.
Provides: Statewide food resource information and referral helpline. Callers can be screened for SNAP eligibility and assisted with completing the application. Assists callers in locating food resources in their own community such as a food shelf and/or hot meal site. Also makes referrals for other public food programs like WIC (Women, Infants and Children and NAPS (Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors).


Rental Housing

Looking for a house or apartment to rent can be challenging! Many people find rental housing using online tools like Zumper, Padmapper, ApartmentList, LiveLovely, or Craigslist. Other people find rental housing by asking friends or family members if they know of anything available or looking for “For Rent” signs in their neighborhood.

Materials from the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office can help you know more about the process and how to protect yourself:

If you are having trouble with your landlord, HOME Line Tenant Hotline provides free legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services so that tenants can solve their own rental housing problems. The HOME Line hotline advocates provide free advice regarding Minnesota tenant/landlord law:

Phone: 612.728.5767; toll free 1.866.866.3546
Hours: Monday–Thursday: 9:00am – 6:00pm; Friday: 9:00am – 3:00pm.


Ramsey County Coordinated Access to Housing and Shelter (CAHS) provides housing services and support for Ramsey County families, single adults and unaccompanied youth who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.

To see if you qualify for an intake please call United Way 211for a prescreen. If eligible, United Way 211 will advise you on the next appropriate steps.
Phone: 651.291.0211

Single adults 25 years or older
Phone: 651.647.3137
Appointments must be scheduled through the housing screener.

Youth ages 16-24
Phone: 651.224.9644
Monday-Friday: 10:00am – 8:00pm

If the family is experiencing domestic violence, also try Minnesota Day One Emergency Shelter and Crisis Hotline at 1.866.223.1111.



MNsure is the health insurance exchange where individuals and families select a health care plan, including low cost or free coverage. Insurance rules are constantly changing so even if you have not been able to get coverage in the past you may be qualify under the new rules. You are able to sign up for MNsure on their website, over the phone, and in person.

Phone: 1.855.3MNSURE (1.855.366.7873) or 651.539.2099
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am - 4pm


Portico Healthnet / 489-CARE Referral Line
Provides assistance finding health care services, including care available to those who are uninsured or underinsured. They can refer you to affordable medical, dental and mental health care; also provides health insurance information and can provide assistance in applying for insurance.
Phone: 651.489.2273; 1.866.489.4899

The clinics below offer sliding scale fees which means that you pay what you can afford to pay. Call for hour or to schedule an appointment.

East Side Family Clinic & Health Start
895 East 7th Street
Phone: 651.602.7500

Family Tree Clinic
1619 Dayton Avenue
Phone: 651.645.0478

Open Cities Health Center
409 Dunlap Street North
Phone: 651.290.9202

St. Mary’s Health Clinics
Seven locations in the Twin Cities
Phone: 651.287.7777

St. Paul-Ramsey County Public Health-Clinic 555
555 Cedar Street
Phone: 651.266.1255

United Family Medicine Peter J. King Family Health Center
1026 West 7th Street (Randolph & W. 7th)
Phone: 651.241.1000

West Side Health Center — “La Clinica”
153 Cesar Chavez Street
Phone: 651.602.7500


Saint Paul College strives to be a supportive environment for students who are parents or who are expecting.


Students who are pregnant should reach out to the Mike Gerold – Director of Student Rights & Responsibilities/Title IX Coordinator to make a plan to ensure that they are able to be successful as a student during pregnancy and after. Each student will have different needs, preferences, and medical requirements so plans are extremely individualized. The Title IX Office can also help plan a student’s return to campus after the birth of their child.

Lactation Room

Saint Paul College has a designated space, Room 2166, for infant feeding, nursing, breastfeeding, chestfeeding, or pumping. It is a comfortable, private space with a sink, microwave, cozy chair, refrigerator, and electrical source. Participants will have badge access to the lactation room throughout the semester. A new agreement must be completed each semester to maintain access. Contact the Office of Student Life and Diversity with questions. Participants can complete an agreement at to get badge access for the semester.

Saint Paul College Child Care Information

For more information visit:

Minnesota Child Care Assistance Program

It is important to know that your child is well cared for while you are at work or school. Paying for child care can be difficult. Minnesota’s Child Care Assistance Program can help make quality child care affordable for families with low incomes.

For more information visit:

Women, Infant and Children (WIC) Supplemental Program

Minnesota WIC is a nutrition and breastfeeding program that helps eligible pregnant people, new parents, babies and young children eat well, learn about nutrition and stay healthy. The WIC program provides monthly benefits to help parents buy nutritious foods (including baby formula) to families with young children.

* While called the Women, Infant and Children program, pregnant people and new parents who do not identify as female can still be eligible for the program

  • You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible for WIC
  • Foster parent(s) or guardian(s) with an infant or child under age 5 may also be eligible

Mental Health

Starting your college career or going through life transitions can be challenging for anyone. We know that this is a time when students often struggle with mental health concerns so there are a variety of resources available here on campus.


Counseling Services at Saint Paul College provides free and confidential personal counseling and consultation to promote personal development and well-being for all students. This department is able to as assist students in defining and meeting personal, academic, and career objectives and can provide ongoing mental health therapy sessions that provide diagnostic assessments/mental health evaluations and ongoing therapy sessions.

For more information visit:


Ramsey County Mental Health Services Children’s Crisis Response Crisis
Phone: 651.266.7878 (24 hours)
Provides: Crisis intervention for Ramsey County youth (ages 0–18) and their families.

Ramsey County Crisis Outreach
Phone: 651.266.7900
Provides: Assessment, referral and mobile outreach for adults in Ramsey County experiencing a mental health crisis.

Ramsey County Mental Health Center
1919 University Avenue West Suite 200
Phone: 651.266.7890
Provides: Group and individual counseling; case management intake; partial hospitalization program, and personal recovery services. Psychiatrist on site. Intensive outpatient mental health peer recovery program; MI/CD intensive outpatient program.


Comunidades Latinos Unidos en Servicios (CLUES)
797 East 7th Street
Phone: 651.379.4200
Provides: Bilingual family therapy in addition to individual, couples, child and adolescent therapy.

Face to Face Health & Counseling Service
1165 Arcade Street
Phone: 651.772.5555
Provides: Individual and family counseling; counseling for victims of sexual abuse and incest; focus around sexuality and gender identity.

Lutheran Social Services-East Metro
700 Snelling Avenue South (in Gloria Dei Lutheran Church)
Phone: 612.879.5320
Provides: Individual, couples, and family counseling, support for victims of abuse, and referral for longer-term counseling.

Regions Hospital Emergency Department
640 Jackson Street
Phone: 651.254.1000
Intake procedures: Walk-in to Emergency Dept. Fees vary, although no one will be denied services for inability to pay. Provides: Risk assessment, psychiatric evaluation, referral, or admission, and connection to resources, for adults (ages 18 and over) who are experiencing a mental health or chemical health crisis; resources and support to victims of sexual assault or domestic abuse.

Walk-in Counseling Center
Main Location: 2421 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis
Additional Locations: Walk-In at Family Tree Clinic and Neighborhood House
Phone: 612.870.0565
Provides: Counseling for people with urgent needs and few resources; serves individuals, couples and families. Remarks: Services are anonymous, no appointment is necessary for walk-in clinics; no paperwork; no fee, although donations are accepted. Call to make arrangements for counseling in Spanish.


If you have experienced violence you have many options. You do not have to decide right away and it is okay if you decide you do not want to take any of the options in this section. You can choose as many or as few actions as you want. For more information visit


Confidential resources may maintain your complete confidentiality, offering you options and advice without any obligation to tell anyone, unless you want them to.

Medical Care

Care for physical health or injuries and infection/pregnancy prevention available at local hospital emergency departments. Ask for a forensic exam. You don’t need to report to police to get medical care.

  • Regions Hospital: 651.254.3456
  • St. Joseph's Hospital: 651.232.3000
  • United Hospital: 651.241.800


Confidential advocates are available to talk, safety plan, and offer resources 24 hours a day, every day. SOS advocates offer 1-1 advocacy on campus by appointment.

  • SOS Sexual Violence Services: 651.266.1000
  • SPIP (Domestic Violence): 651.645.2824
  • Minnesota Day One (Domestic Violence): 1.866.223.1111
  • Rape & Incest National Network (RAINN): 1.800.656.4673

Reporting resources are available if you want to report crimes and policy violations. When you make a report, the individual or agency is required to take action. If you choose to report what happened to you to the College or to the police, you should know that the College and the police investigate and make decisions separately. An advocate from SOS or SPIP can help you navigate these processes.

Local Police
Call 9-1-1 in an emergency.

Advocates from SOS or staff from Saint Paul College are available to assist in talking to police on request.

  • Saint Paul Police: 651.291.1111
  • Minneapolis Police: 612.348.2345
  • Ramsey County Sherriff: 651.266.9333

Campus Public Safety
651.846.1322 | Room 1355 |

Officers from Campus Safety respond to campus incidents and can take action to help keep you safe.

Title IX Office
Mike Gerold: 651.846.1327; Room 1401B

The Title IX Office investigates conduct violations and determine academic accommodations that can help you succeed as you heal.

Online Anonymous Reporting

If you want the college to know what happened but aren’t sure you want to come forward, you can report it online anonymously.

Financial Assistance


Saint Paul College financial aid is available to help students finance the cost of an education. Financial aid come s in the form of grants (money that the student does not have to pay back), loans (money that the student must pay back) and college work-study (money the student earns through employment).

Saint Paul College also has Saint Paul College has a limited amount of emergency financial assistance that is available to currently enrolled students who are experiencing a financial hardship due to an unexpected event or emergency. The funds are not intended to replace or supplement financial aid.

For more information visit:


Ramsey County helps determine your eligibility for financial assistance programs, including child care, food support, health care, housing, and a variety of other programs.

Bridge to Benefits helps link low-income residents to public support programs and tax credits by providing a survey that helps you determine if you may be eligible for financial assistance programs.

Types of assistance

How to apply
You can apply and learn more about assistance by phone and online.

Apply for cash assistance, food and childcare assistance programs online through

Apply for healthcare through

Ramsey County operates a 24/7 automated EZ Info phone line (651.266.3800) to provide information about financial assistance programs in English, Spanish, Hmong, and Somali.

  • Check if documents have been received.
  • Access your financial assistance eligibility, program and benefits status.
  • Leave messages for your worker and report changes in your situation.
  • Get directions to the Government Center East Building.


Whether you’re looking for a job on campus or off, the place to start is at the Saint Paul College Career Services Office. Career Services at Saint Paul College exists to serve current students, future students and alumni in their career development by providing career exploration, career readiness, job and internship search, and employer connections.

For more information visit:

Unemployment Benefits

If you are currently unemployed you may be eligible for Unemployment Benefits through the State of Minnesota. For more information visit:


Saint Paul College encourages eligible students to vote. Due to Covid anyone can request a mail-in ballot through the Minnesota Secretary of State.

For more information about how to register, where to vote, and deadlines, visit:


Technology Access

Currently the campus has a limited number of computers available in Rooms 1506-1510 for current students to use if you do not have access to technology. Please note that if you are coming to campus to use a computer, the College has reduced building hours. Students wishing to use this computer lab must enter campus through the West Entrance, complete a required screening before arrival, and must check-in at the security station inside that entrance using their student photo ID. Only current employees and students may access the building.

Equipment Checkout & Internet

Chromebooks, Mobile HotSpots, iPads, and Virtual Reality equipment can be checked out through the Saint Paul College IT on a first come, first serve basis.

Low-Cost Internet Options


If you are in need of legal or advocacy assistance related to immigration, please refer to the resources below:

Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota (ILCM)

American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota

The Advocates of Human Rights
Main Line: 612.341.3302
Immigrant Client Line: 612.341.9845

International Institute of Minnesota (IIM)

LatinX based community non-profit organization

Council on American-Islamic Relations, Minnesota (CAIR-MN)


Metro Transit College Pass

As a Saint Paul College student, you can purchase an unlimited public bus and light rail Metro Transit pass for $165/semester and $85/summer. The total cost for 12 months is $415 for this Metro Transit pass. There are bus routes all over Saint Paul and Minneapolis, and there are two light rail lines. There is an app you can download on your phone to check real-time bus and train schedules. Saint Paul and Minneapolis has a very good public transportation system and you do not need a vehicle to live in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

We are here to help!

One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info